The ECA held its last fundraiser of 2021 on Friday night. Look, we all know trying to get people excited about a virtual auction is not the easiest thing to do these days, and we had no illusions as to what success we would experience (or lack of success). But it did not just happen by itself. I feel it is time to acknowledge some true “heroes” in our effort to make lemonade out of lemons Friday night:
- How about Tom Boylan folks?!! Boylan has been there for us professionally and in friendship and counsel for years. When the Auction started out slowly (that’s an understatement) on Friday night, we were getting bids from our volunteer auctioneer Mr. Tom Boylan himself. I appreciate his counsel, friendship, positive “can do” attitude, and all of us at the ECA owe Boylan a huge thank you! I urge you to utilize their services at the Boylan Point Agency and say, “thanks Tom for helping to support the ECA!”
- Sound Ideas Media-despite some unforeseen internet issues we unfortunately encountered Friday night, Don, Alejandro, and Angela were there Thursday night setting up and doing a check on our high-tech setup, and they were there Friday night with a big “thumbs up” until the thumbs up turned into thumbs down. We still do not have a grasp on what happened to our live feed bandwidth at 6:30pm, but it was not the fault of Sound Ideas. They have talent and professionalism, and I urge you to consider hiring them for promotional events in the future. Thank you Don/Alejandro and Angela!!
- How about Tony Cabrera and Mary Kennedy Cabrera? As I mentioned, bidding was slow to none starting out on Friday night, yet here was Mary and Tony investing in the ECA and bidding on items, as well as making a cash donation without being asked, or expected to. Lots of work went into the auction, and Mary ran many committee meetings, put out many requests for donations from ECA members, and if folks do not care for what we had to bid on Friday night, it was not the fault of Mary. She worked her ass off and is just as disappointed as I am that our auction did not resonate with our members better than it did. We wish we had all of you in our boat helping us to pull towards the goal of being the absolute best advocate for your businesses and your workers that we possibly can be. We hope you will reach out to us and let us know what did not resonate with you, and we really hope you reach out to Mary and Tony and give them a big “Thank You” for going above and beyond!
- Corinna Fernandez. Jenah Smith. Great advocates for all you ECA members and they were present and participatory all year in preparation of this auction. Jenah in particular went out and got donations on her own, and she is not even still a member of the ECA. Corinna was there with us through the stress of Friday night, positive and constructive throughout. All I can say is buy some pipe and fittings from Pace and mention you are doing so because of Corinna!!
- Bidding picked up because of Josh Cleaver and BoDean, Dale Mahoney of Ghilotti Construction Company, Mike Gulley, Kevin & Jason Holtzinger of NWG, Kevin Robison, and many others. We appreciate your support! Kevin Noonan of Toby’s Trucking, you were persistent and won the Mayacama Golf Foursome!
- Donations were made to the ECA Auction and we very much appreciate all of the donations. How about Serres Corporation donating a Hog Hunt and a day shooting at Wing and Barrel?? Huge!! Ghilotti Construction Company stepping up again and donating tickets to the 49ers with the signature tailgate party! Fantastic! The biggest money maker came out of BoDean with their Blast and Brew donation!! Blow it up! And a big thanks to Gwen Trappe, Canyon Rock. You ROCK!
- To all that bid on silent auction and live auction items, we appreciate you. For all that did not, we will continue to try and provide you with “return on investment” as best we can. We are all in this together and together we will succeed!! Bidders:
- And to our Board of Directors, those who donated wine to the wine item-thank you! Special shout out to Mr. Glenn Smith for stepping up and letting us hold the auction at his office conference room.
- And finally-a shout out to incoming President Walt Turner and Randy for donating $1,000 to our cause on Monday morning!!Brent Stromgren-dressed in his own fantastic style, he was there for rehearsal and on Friday night trying to help us out. Did I also mention he and wife Kelly donated a pool party/BBQ at their house to the ECA cause? Thanks Brent and Kelly!
That’s my Top 10 for how to make Lemonade out of Lemons! A fine list it is too!
That’s All Folks!