The opinions expressed in the Soapbox are not necessarily the opinions of the ECA. I am speaking my own mind and not stating any collective ECA opinions.
Did You, or Didn’t You?
As we approach 30 days until voting commences in Sonoma County and Marin County, I want to do more to see that David Rabbitt wins reelection to the 2nd District fof Sonoma County Supervisor. While I also want to see James Gore win, his race is not as contentious and competitive as Rabbitt’s. For those that live in Marin County, I also understand there are a few political races of great importance for you as well. I will speak to those in a later Soapbox. This Soapbox is intended to reach out to those that are in a position to influence employees, coworkers, neighbors, friends and family, and ask them if they are doing all they can to ensure Rabbitt does get reelected.
Hopefully, I do not need to speak to the reasons why Rabbitt is the best candidate for Supervisor. His track record is exemplary, and his work ethic is admirable. He is known as the “budget hawk” that watches out for our tax dollars and refuses to bend to pressures that try to get the Supervisors to vote on frivolous and costly stuff like buying the Sears property. Rabbitt held firm on that fiasco, and ultimately the deal was mercifully killed (Sonoma County scraps plan for government headquarters in downtown Santa Rosa (pressdemocrat.com)).
Rabbitt is being challenged by a former staffer from Jared Huffman, Blake Hooper.
In the recent debate, here is a direct quote from Blake Hooper–“It doesn’t make sense to develop out our county that much further,”.
I don’t know about you, but I believe basic economics would tell you that if a community does not continue to have some sustainable growth, businesses are not going to stick around, workers will not have a place to live, and young people who want to have a good paying job and a healthy community to raise their children, will look elsewhere to put down their roots and call it home.
Blake Hooper is from the political camp that wants to drain Lake Pillsbury, give money to everybody (yes-including homeless and non-citizens), and get more money from anybody who is still working and paying taxes so they can pay for the ever increasing costs of County services being paid by fewer and fewer people.
Blake wanted to have the County buy the Sears site, and obviously does not understand construction costs as he claimed the cost of building an 18 story office complex on an 8 acre downtown site that the County did not own, would be the same as building on an 80 acre site that the County does own. Want Blake to be your contractor?
Enough said, I hope. We cannot afford to have Rabbitt lose to this guy. So how can we help David Rabbitt? Let me give you a few ideas:
- Put up a sign on your land, or your yard. To get signs contact Andrea Krout at 707-799-9932. She can arrange to get signs put up and taken down. Can political involvement be any easier?
- Become an endorser for David Rabbitt. (Contact David Rabbitt’s Reelection Campaign)
- Contribute to David Rabbitt’s campaign reelection (Contact David Rabbitt’s Reelection Campaign)
- Talk to your family and friends and make sure they know which candidate is going to actually do the work as a Supervisor. Be an influencer. Influence them.
- Let your employees and co workers know, to ensure their futures, they need to vote for the candidate that has done the work before to support their jobs, and will continue to do the work to support their jobs.
- Let your subcontractors and suppliers know the best way to keep working together, is to have opportunities to bid on projects and only one candidate is the best option for that!
- Write a quick letter to the editor (believe me the other guy is doing it-there is a letter writing campaign starting now to support Hooper and we need to be doing the same thing!):
- Press Democrat-Letters, Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Bay Area Newspaper, CA news
B. Argus Courier-Online Services | timesargus.com
- Sonoma County Gazette-Submit an article or column (sonomacountygazette.com)
- Sample Letter Templates: click on this here, use the template of your choice, please modify it with some of your own words, and follow the directions in A:D to send it to one, or all of the local newspapers
- Social Media-many of you have Instagram, Facebook, or LinkedIn accounts. Post something positive and constructive that Rabbitt has done for the community. Make it fun and positive!
- Pick up a sign at the ECA Public Officials Night on Thursday, April 14, and put it up in your yard! I have arranged to have signs there for you to pick up!
When the votes are done being counted for this critical race, will you be able to look in the mirror and tell yourself
“I supported Rabbitt as best I could”?
Did you, or didn’t you?
For all of our sake, let’s hope you did!
That’s All Folks!